Monday, August 12, 2013

Midsummer Festival For The Men

Even thou our Midsummer festival has long ended, I hadn't had a chance to share this card. I did however share a card for women, but this somehow skipped my posting schedule :)
There are several distinctive symbols for the festival and all of them are on my card:
First there is a Janis's (that's a men's name in my country and the main character of the Midsummer festival) cheese - extremely tasty mostly homemade cheese with cumin. I made it by cutting approximate shape of paper, then crumpling it and inking with Distress inks. Then I added cumin using dark brown Copic marker.

Then comes beer - most usually drinked from clay or wooden cups. I used TH woodgrain embossing folder to make wood which then was cut into strips/parts, inked and then again put together. I added simple gray inked strips as metallic - have no idea what those are called, but those are these metallic things that holds the cup together. And some trusty metallic brads that look like nailheads.
My card opens by each object and on the other side of each thing there's one national "poem" (they are not actually poems, more like songs that are dedicated to midsummer festival).
Next there is a wreath made from oak branches - every Janis must have one during the festival. I used amazing amount of those die cut leaves to create this one, but it was totally worth it! And ofcourse there had to be a fern somewhere, because no Midsummer festival can go on without couples looking for "the bloom of fern".
There were plenty of place to write some greetings and for all (more than 30) people to sign their names.

I hope that you enjoy your summer - by this time, I'm probably already in Italy trying to survive in the enormous heat, but that's nothing when I'm with my hubby :)

2 comments:

  1. Liva, love the textures on your card, good to know the traditions of your country!!
    http://kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome!! Love how you made the janis cheese!! And the texture of the mug is fabulous!! I hope you enjoy your trip!! Safe travels :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)