Friday, July 12, 2013

Sweet Fairy House - Tutorial

 I'm most happy when I get to finally create something that has been in my head for a very long time. And this little beauty has been in mine fora very, very, very long time. So you can imagine how happy I am now that it is finally ready. And one of the best thing about it is that I got to use lots of unused materials - like crackle paints, Distress embossing powders and others.
The base of my house is this empty plastic ice-cream jar. I thought that it is the perfect shape and size for a perfect little fairy house :)
 Use some printer paper to wrap around the jar and make marks around edges so that you can cut out the basic shape of your wrap. I use the same technique to make roof - roll paper as cone, place on your jar, make markings around jar and cut the unnecessary part. You may use these papers as templates to transfer them on patterned paper. I use a slightly different approach - I scanned my templates in my computer, so that I could trace them, smooth them a bit and then print on patterned paper.
I included my PC version of my templates, but of-course they will be of no use to you as most likely you will have completely differently shaped jar, but they should give you the idea fo how the template should look like.
 I wrapped my jar with a paper from Graphic45 Secret Garden collection. I also inked all edges using Faded Jeans Distress ink and also just a bit with Walnut stain ink.
 I glued on my roof cone using hot glue gun and then made cuts on the edge like shown in the pic above. Fold them downwards to make small horizontal edge.
 I painted my horizontal edge with Faded Jeans Crackle Paint - I love how this paint gives instant antique look.
 I sprayed vintage crochet lace using various Color Wash mists - mushroom, butterscotch and meadow.
Glue your colored lace around the horizontal edge of the roof. Looks so nice already :)
Illustrator file for roof tiles    SVG file for roof tiles    Studio file for roof tiles for Silhouette machine

Cut lots of shapes shown above from simple card. I have included files for digital cutting machines - as that's what I used, because it's more faster to cut many of these babies :)
After cutting tiles out paint them with Mahogany Crackle Paint. After the paint dries and crackles, spray tiles with brown and green mists..

 Glue larger tiles on roof starting from the bottom edge. Overlap them slightly. I used hot glue gun to glue them to the roof - that's faster and holds better.

Continue gluing tiles row by row, switching to smaller tiles when you have almost reached the top of the roof.
I applied some clear liquid glue to different parts of my roof and covered them with Peeled Paint Distress embossing powder and heated it with heat gun. This gave my roof that mossy look that I adore about old country style houses. Next all you have to do is to decorate your house whatever way you like.

 I used lots of my handmade flowers and vintage looking windows I showed you in my previous tutorials.
I wrapped one of the flourish die cuts around the roof - it is painted with green crackle paint. I accompanied my own flowers with small pre-made paper flowers in various colors.

I added lots of metallic embellishments I got at a local jewelry materials store. I also used pink pearl pins as centers of some of my flowers and as anchors for my embellishments. It was quite easy, as the jar is plastic...



I filled all empty areas at the bottom of my house using this lovely Flower Soft. That is also one of the things I haven't used in a while...

I used lots of various leaves die cuts and flourishes. Some of them I painted with crackle paint, some were embossed with embossing powder and some were inked with Distress ink and then covered with green glitter.


Sizzix Bigz Die - Tattered Florals
Sizzix Bigz Die - Tattered Florals
Sizzix BigShot Machine
Sizzix BigShot Die-cutting Machine
Sizzix Accessory - Susan's Garden Tool Kit
Sizzix Accessory - Susan's Garden Tool Kit
Sizzix Accessory - Susan's Garden Tool Kit
ProMarkers
Sizzix Accessory - Susan's Garden Tool Kit
Glossy Accents
Martha Stewart Glitter
Martha Stewart Glitter
Spray Adhesive
Krylon SPRAY ADHESIVE All Purpose
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 13PK - Leaves, Garden
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 13PK - Leaves, Garden
Sizzix Bigz Die - Elegant Flourishes
Sizzix Bigz Die - Elegant Flourishes
Tim Holtz LOT 36 DISTRESS INK PADS
Tim Holtz LOT 36 DISTRESS INK PADS
Flower Soft Textured Blooms MINI FUCHSIA
Flower Soft Textured Blooms MINI FUCHSIA
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint AGED MAHOGANY
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint AGED MAHOGANY
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint FADED JEANS
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint FADED JEANS
Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder PEELED PAINT
Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder PEELED PAINT
Ranger Inkssentials INK BLENDING TOOL
Ranger Inkssentials INK BLENDING TOOL
*Graphic 45 SECRET GARDEN 12 x 12 Paper Pad
Graphic 45 SECRET GARDEN 12 x 12 Paper Pad
Tim Holtz Adirondack COLOR WASH
Tim Holtz Adirondack COLOR WASH
Ranger Inkssentials HEAT IT CRAFT TOOL
Ranger Inkssentials HEAT IT CRAFT TOOL
Imaginisce I-BOND Cordless Hot Glue Gun
Imaginisce I-BOND Cordless Hot Glue Gun
Imaginisce Mini CLEAR Glue Sticks
Imaginisce Mini CLEAR Glue Sticks

Thank you for sharing my little fairy dream hose with me! I hope I could inspire some of you to turn into reality some of your fantasies!

I will enter this house in these challenges/linkies :)
Crafts And Me: Anything Goes
Inklings & Yarns - Inky Linky 22
I Gotta Create
Mom On Timeout
Someday Crafts
Simon Says Stamp - Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little house.....loved the upcycling and the roof tiles idea.
    http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Liva, it's absolutely stunning!! It just turned out amazingly!! I love the design and your awesome tutorial!! What a fabulous project!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! There is so much detail and I love that it is a recycling project. I pinned this little lovely!

    Thanks so much for linking up at the party,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful project - it looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative! Great job! Saw this featured on I Gotta Create! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)