Monday, July 8, 2013

DIY Small Windows (Prima Style) - Tutorial

Since Prima released their small window embellishments I have been obsessed with them - I adore to see them being used in various crafty projects. Unfortunately they are not sold in my country and secondly - they are a bit too pricey for my pocket. So I came up with an alternative idea - paper ones that I can make myself. You will find at the end of this post links to cutting files, that I have used to make these windows.
 Start by cutting all shapes out from simple cardstock - preferably use as thick as possible. It can by any color if you prefer so, but I think that white works best - especially if you go for the Prima look.
 Start by gluing each smaller part of the window frame on top of the larger one. I did this using Glossy Accents - I like that it glues everything together very fast - almost like there is no waiting time.

 Glue all frames on top of each other and this is what you will get. You may stop here, but I prefer a bit more detailed - vintage look.


 Follow the pictures above, to see the steps of how I glued my flourishy details on top of my window. These details are very small and intricate, but I think that they add the necessary finishing touches to these windows.
 After gluing all parts together I covered whole window with gesso. Even several layers. This makes the window look more like one piece rather than glued together paper.
Use whatever water based medium you have to add very watered down brownish color to some parts of the window. Just a hint of the brown tone that should go into creases - this adds more of an antiqued look. I used brown Distress ink - I swiped my craft mat with it and then picked it up with a water brush, but I think that watercolors should work nicely as well. And that's it - my windows were ready.
I wanted to try a bit of a different look for another project, so I tried to swipe some brown acrylic paint over my window and I got this lovely window. It might also need a bit of shading to make it look more of an old wood, but this dark look works just as well as the white one.

Links to cutting files:
Illustrator file                    SVG file                         Studio file for Silhouette

If you need any other format, write me and I will try to add it as well.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and if so, please let me know when you have made some projects using my cutting files - I love to see creativity spread :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous, Liva!! You did an amazing job!! I love all of the dimension!! It looks fabulous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! my goodness this is fabulous, what a wonderful window and so different too. Thank you for the file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, LOVE this window frame... would love to create a couple for a project... link to SVG file not working... can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Livia,
    I would love to make this window, but the file links don't work. SVG file?
    Thanks,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)