Saturday, March 2, 2013

Floral Beauty To Dangle Under My Ears + Tutorial

When I first saw the Tattered Floral challenge on TH blog, my immediate idea was to make plastic jewelry!
I started out by die-cutting tattered florals from a Sizzix embossing folders packaging.  I just love how Bigz dies cuts right through materials as such - even through two layers at once. This material proved to be absolutely amazing with this technique.
Then you heat each petal - not whole flower - over a candle. Be careful not to burn it. You need for the plastic to start curling - just slightly. This means it has become soft and it is able to ply it however you need.
I then use different sized instruments with wooden balls on end. That soft petal must be put on some soft base - I use soft mouse pad for this purpose. Curl all petals to resemble more realistic flower.
Then I color underside of my petals using alcohol inks - first I apply single color and when it's dried, I applied silver color on top of the previous layer - this makes the color to pop out more.
then I just pricked a hole in the middle of all my flowers and stacked them on top of each other. Use a nice brad to keep them all together. Then I used some superglue to attach my flower to an extra large hair clip.
My girl wasn't very happy about me making her be my model, but she did like her new hair clip :)
 After making that hair clip, I decided that I need something for myself as well.  My most often used piece of jewelry is definitely earrings, so I went for that.

I used two layers of middle sized flowers and one smallest flower. Then I added quite large pearl brad that I also colored with alcohol inks. All I needed more was to attach few jumprings and an earring hook.



Hope you like these, and if you create something similar, I would sure like to see them.

10 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!! I love the beautiful colors!! I just made a project for the challenge, too and I have a hair band as well!! I hope you have a wonderful day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a gorgeous idea to use theseas dies ....well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liva, your creativity is incredible! These are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! What a great job. Wow.
    Rae Ann O.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carinissimo questo tutorial. Molto brava
    Ciao da Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a superb idea Liva! It worked out great and I love the colors you used! Really creative. Your daughter looks lovely with that flower. Hugs, Hanneke

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful, and bring back memories of when my mom would make me jewelry to go with the outfits she made me. They are awesome hun, and fabulous tutorial too. How kind of you to show how you make these lovelies.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very impressed by what you made. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)