Friday, June 3, 2011

Realistic 3D Effect On Any Image - Tutorial

I just love the ability to make all sorts of 3D style things, but usually I do this for my decoupage projects. This time I decided to make this effect on a card and even made a small tutorial.
I used this My Heart Stamps For You Wikiky Duckie stamp as the theme of Passion For ProMarkers challenge is sports.
I stamped this image three times and for each of them colored different areas:
First I colored just the body with Gold, Canary and Soft Lime markers.
On second I colored wings using the same color combination, beak with Orange and Pumpkin markers, and surf board with Forest Green, Bright Green and Lime Green markers.
This is my base layer, so I colored duck and board with the darkest shadow color all around image borders. Legs of the duck will not be 3D so they were just normally colored on this piece using same colors as for beak.
On this image the waves and water comes as well and I did that whit True Blue, Aegean, Duck Egg, Cool Aqua and Blender markers. I always like to leave some parts of image white and blend it with Blender to make it look as the sun shines so bright that it make some places look white. But coloring of water for me is just unimaginable without use of blender.
I also draw a circle using one Nestabilities circle die as guide (I used inner circle of the die, so that I was able to die cut matting using the same die afterwards). Some interesting parts I let out of the circle - like tip of one wing and upper parts of wave.
Next I cut out all my parts - two wings, body, beak, board and base image.
Tthen I take soft mouse pad and a small embossing stylus and make some sort of creases in the places where naturally there would be dents - like under the middle wing line. These creases allow you to see where you will be doing embossing in next step.
 Then you turn your piece over and with proportionally large stylus to image are, emboss all areas that are between creased lines 9on this side they are embossed). Do not go over or too near these previously made lines, as you will "erase" them.
Now you have to fill these embossed areas with very thick layer of adhesive. In decoupage I usually use hot glue gun but I just didn't want to use it on my card, so instead I applied several layers of sticky foam pads on top of each other. This is so that embossed areas don't become flat after some time or if you accidentally touch them too hard.
First I positioned the body of the duck, because other parts will overlap it - one wing will go over it and beak as well.
This is the assembled duck on a finished card. You do the coloring around the image borders on the base layer so that after embossed areas are raised white wouldn't show through some gaps.
I also did some embossing on this printed and hand-cut sentiment which says "surfing, surfing... ...windsurfing!" I just love how this sort of dented cut shape supplements the circle shape above it.
For the card itself I used an old Rubber Romance Stamps sketch:
I also want to enter this card in CES Challenges - Challenge #38 - Embossing

Something Cuddly With Lots of Bling

 With so many challenges saying to go for bling and The Outlawz ProMarker May 13th challenge saying to have something cuddly - I just couldn't say no. My bling mostly is Stamperia Brillanti glitter, but I also added wonderfull flower and butterfly patterned epoxy brad and two pink pearls.
As for the 'something cuddly' part, I used High Hopes Lilly-Belle stamp, as their challenge is to make cards about pets, and colored it with ProMarkers:
Tan, Denim Blue, Ice Gray 2, Blush, Sunkissed Pink, Baby Pink, Pale Pink, Antique Pink, Pumpkin and Gold. Image is cut out using Nestabilities Labels 4 die and slightly inked with Peeled Paint Distress ink.
Sentiment says: Birthday wishes and it is a stamp of my own and it is die cut with scalloped oval die. Floral background paper is from K&Company mat pad, but pink dots are printed by myself. I also inked some cardstock with Peeled paint ink and punched two small branches. Those two flowers are just folded paper flowers with small stem in the middle, which i colored green with a ProMarker.
I also used a sketch from The Outlawz Wednesday's Sketch Challenge May 4:
And the challenges asking for bling are:
The Emerald faeries Garden challenge - Challenge #2 Lots of Bling

Boy With Dinosaures

As I'm going to Germany to visit my husband from 12th till 26th of June, I won't be here to make samples for my color palettes, so I do that now, just won't publish the actual palette, but i guess it is still possible to tell :)
For some time I had this Oliver stamped on piece of cardstock from The Greeting Farm stamp set Happy Day, laying on my table, so I decided to give it a go.
I colored it with my ProMarkers using:
True Blue, Royal Blue, Aegean, Denim Blue, Cool Aqua, Midnight Blue, Black, Ice Gray 2, Warm Gray 2, Purple, Amethyst, Orchid, Umbra, Burnt Sienna, Tan, Sandstone,,, Saffron, Buttercup, Ivory, Ruby, Red, Pale Pink and Blender.
I wanted boys hair to be black, but it is very hard to do if you don't have grey markers (well only No 2's of grey's).
I used sketch from The Outlawz challenges Wednesday's Sketch Challenge May 25
I wanted this card to be really fun, so I made that strip from torn violetish linen, but I also inked it with distress ink. Also I used black cardstock, dotted wrapping paper and that circle which remind me of an dinosaur egg, is from one of K&Company mat pads.