Saturday, July 16, 2011

Warm Wishes From Latvia

For some time now I had this idea to design something very Latvian, like stamps with Latvian folklore characters and patterned papers with national symbols. Well the opportunity presented itself when Lily Pad Cards blog issued a challenge to make cards with our national elements.
This is so called "national girl" in her celebratory outfit. Red color is one of the most used in our national patterns and clothing, but mostly just a little bit like the one patterned strip behind her. That is the color of our flag as well. The strip itself is a patterns used in "Lielvarde belts" - those are woven belts and some believe that it actually has some encoded language no one knows about...
That crown is usually sewn from fabric and is beaded with small white or colorful beads. In my case I added some Stickles on top of it but later also went over with white Gelly Roll pen. Near her neck and on her chest there are our traditional brooches. They are from metal - usually from silver, copper or bronze.
I colored her with these ProMarkers:
Cardinal, Berry, Lipstick Red, Cocktail Pink, Blender, Saffron, Vanilla, Ivory, Soft Peach, Pale Pink, Amethyst, Amber, Forest Green, Gold, Umber, Burnt Sienna, cocoa, Warm Gray 2.
I placed my sentiment in cooper frame and it says as you can guess - Warm Wishes From Latvia. I chose copper frame to match with the brooches theme. The first line of sentiment is in Fraktur font, which you can download for free from dafont.com but the word Latvia s written in font named Liva (just like myself :) and was made by our local designer Mikus Vanags and it can be downloaded for free from BurtusType.com.
The card itself is shaped like map of my country, which was cut with my SDSilhouette and that patterned strip in the middle makes something like an inverse flag of ours...

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That's such a cool card: the shape, the colours, the elements you used. And I learned so much about Latvia in your post - thanks =)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a creative and beautiful card! Thanks for sharing about your country; I love learning about cultures around the world and I knew very little about Latvia. I'm so glad you joined us in this Lily Pad Cards challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is right! A lot of thinking and originality went into this. Love it... the unique shape of the card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very creative, Liva! This was so well thought out - thanks so much for playing with us at Lily Pad Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! Love how creative this card is! Thank you for playing with us at lily pad cards!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)