Friday, July 15, 2011

So Good To Have Grand Grandmother + Small Photoshop Tutorial

So scrapbooking it is... Yesterday I saw the fabulous Sketchy Thursdays sketch and just wanted to make something vintage or shabby chic like, as I still struggle with these styles. Nontraditionaly I started with looking into my paper options and just then went for the right matching photo.
I chose this photo of my girls and my grandmother, but it still wasn't exactly the right "old-like" look to go with my vintage style. So I decided to go for some small tweaking in Photoshop.
First you need to open image in Photoshop. Then I like to duplicate my background layer - just to be sure that I don't mess up with my only picture, but this step isn't obligatory.
While your "working" layer is still selected, use the inbuilt Photoshop Sepia Toning action (I'm neot sure since which PS version this is in). You will get new black and white layer and Hue/Saturation adjustment layer on top.
Click the right mouse button on that Hue/Saturation layer and choose Merge Down. This will make just one sepia layer.
Select your sepia layer and set the blending mode for this layer to Darken.
And this was the result - I got slightly antiqued photo which exactly matched my layout. You may experiment with other blending setting as well, but this was the perfect one for my photo.
So here is the layout put together. I used some K&Company papers and also some printed papers for the strip and roses. I also got to use that lovely light blue lace from the same grandmother stash :)
Paper flowers were colored with Fired Brick Distress ink and water-brush as well as directly inked. Finally I have some paper leaves as well - these are from Prima. Hand cut roses for the background and a ticket I made myself saying - "Completely Loved". I also added that metal heart pendant. It actually came as two sided pendant, but it was easy to split it in half, so instead of one pendant now I got two. I placed some scrap piece of red roses behind it, so that the red would show through more. It was completely white and didn't look as distressed as I wanted, so I sanded it a little bit. I also added that cute vintage brad and punched butterfly.
Once again I made my journalling as a rub-on from ink jet printed acetate.
I love those teared parts - even thou it took me whole sheet of paper to get the tear just how I wanted it :) At least I was able to punch butterflies from the leftovers...
Title is also a self made rub-on, but as I accidentally smudged it, I had to go over with brown fineliner pen, but it just made the title to stand out more.
And here is the lovely sketch:

5 comments:

  1. Wowwwwww! This is gorgeous! I loveeeeeeee the photo, and that lace! Thanks sooooooooo much for playing along with sketchy thursdays! :):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!
    Thanks for playing along with ST!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. i love all your clustered embellies. Thanks for playing with Sketchy Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ei, tā ir mana bilde! Tev nevajadzēja manu atļauju, lai to pārveidotu un vispār izmantotu??? :D ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)