Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mother's Day - The Color Room Colour Challenge #27

I thought that I would not make it in time, as with my kids being sick and getting a balloon blow-up hard in my left eye (it's already second day but it still hurts), but somehow I did it. Maybe it's a bit rushed, but I really tried to follow Irma's inspiring journalling to make this page meaningful.
Picture shows me and Aleksa after her kindergarten performance on Mother's Day. She is holding her favourite Tatty Teddy, which was given to her on her 6 month birthday :)
And the journalling says:
"My heart has three keys and you own one of it. This magical key hides in your smile, your kisses and hugs. It hides inside of yourself - in all your essence and existence. Your every heartbeat is one turn of this magical key.
Mos of all it may be felt in such moments as this one - when my little child painstakingly trusts me her achievements and gives me her love."
Well of course I used again patterned papers from K&Company but this time, or rather today, I got two new paper pads: Susan Winget Nature 12x12 Designer Paper Pad and Brenda Walton Madeline 8.5x8.5 Paper Pad. Actually I got also a third one - Amy Butler Lotus 12x12 Faded China Paper Pad, but this one still has to wait untill it's going to be used.
It just felt like I just had to use something from my precious Tim Holtz grungeboard plain elemnts pack. So I chose one flourish and coloured it with light green acrylic paint and after it was dry, I did some little sanding. For the big key hole I did something I usually do with my decoupage things - at first I painted it with dark brown paint and afterwards rubbed in some wax. Next I coated it with light brown paint and again did some sanding. This reveals dark brown colour underneath and gives this aged look. If I wouldn't have used wax between, it would be most likely, that sanding would rub off both colours in same time. Just like Tim, I did some hammering, but as I don't have texture hammer, I used my regular meat hammer from kitchen :)
I think I have had the best heritage any crafter could have, because this old looking lace, really is very, very old. Actually I have no idea how old it is but it came again from may great-grandmothers closet after she passed away at age of 101 and a half. If I haven't mentioned that before, her name was Aleksandra and I named Aleksa after her - I just didn't want anyone to call her Sasha (as Aleksandra is a Russian name and that's the way they diminish this word), so shortened it a bit. By the way - those small red flowers also came together with the lace and many other interesting crafty items.
Now most often I use paper flowers from Woodware and secure them and my big key hole with small and large brads from DoveCraft.
So this is the colour palette and sketch used:

1 comment:

  1. I really like all the elements here: the distressed paper edges, the old lace...fantastic job on this sketch!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so thrilled about your comments - no matter how good or bad they are :)